Computer Science and programming tutor with 13 years experience as a programmer in the videogame industry and 5 years tutoring experience
I grew up with early computers such as the ZX Spectrum, and was writing simple programs from the age of five. Thirty years on, I've worked on games that have sold millions, including Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Kinectimals and Kinect Disneyland Adventures.
I am available for individual tuition on:
- GCSE, A-Level and degree-level Computer Science
- General purpose programming skills
- Game, web and app development
No previous programming experience is necessary. Tuition is available both locally (Newmarket and Cambridge area) and nationally (via Skype or Google Hangouts, using screen sharing).
A session costs £33 for 45 minutes. There is a discount of £2 per hour if you book and pay for 4 or more sessions in advance.
Where appropriate, group sessions are available - please enquire for details.
The typical structure for my lessons is to do 45 minutes with a 15 minute break in the middle – this break is helpful to me due to a health condition, but it actually works well for the student too as I can ask them to try a task during the break and then check their work in the second half of the session.
For A-level and GCSE students, I produce a comprehensive spreadsheet to keep track of their progress - listing each part of the course syllabus, including my own notes on the topics and links to relevant resources. I also maintain a number of YouTube playlists of videos relevant to the courses.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a session or for more information.
I have been tutoring for five years, during which time I have tutored around 50 students at all levels. I have an up-to-date DBS check as of July 2018.
I have written articles on game development for Wireframe magazine - e.g. Coding Space Invaders’ disintegrating shields,and was a major contributor to Code the Classics, published by Raspberry Pi Press.
- Dog's Life (2003) - PlayStation 2
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (2004) - PC
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Soaked! (2005) - PC
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild! (2005) - PC
- Thrillville (2006) - PS2, Xbox, PSP
- Thrillville: Off the Rails (2007) - PS2, XBox 360, Wii, PC
- LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias (2009) - Wii
- Kinectimals (2010) - XBox 360
- Kinect Disneyland Adventures (2011) - XBox 360
- Elite Dangerous (2014) - PC
Programming languages I've worked in
- Assembly language
- Training languages such as BASIC, Pascal/Delphi, LOGO, Scratch and MIT App Inventor
Technologies I've worked with include
- Ruby on Rails, ExpressJS, Django and Sinatra (web development frameworks)
- Unity (game development system)
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and Windows Forms
- Allegro and SDL (game development libraries)
Dante learned a lot from Andrew about Computer Science. He felt that Andrew was very patient and
supportive and guided him through the various A-level topics for this subject. He furthermore provided
exercises for Dante to complete during the lesson and discussed their outcome which was really beneficial. -- Annika B
Andrew is an excellent tutor. I have made huge progress since starting work with Andrew last year.
It seems like a different life! When we started, I was teaching Latin and French in Croydon. Now thanks
to Andrew's help, I am now working as a Front-End Web Developer in Brighton at a well-known web development
company. I am absolutely thrilled with the work we have done which started with bash commands and the
certainly recommend Andrew as an excellent tutor who enables outstanding progress and success for his students. -- Tom